We are in 2017! How years can surely go by!!!
But, technologically speaking, the speed at which our world is evolving seems to be out of our control; to such an extent that we do not always pay attention to this rapid evolution.
For the last 50 years, technological innovation has been happening at the speed of the light.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 is about to be released, only 5 years after the release of its older model in the series, the S3.
- In July, Dubaï city will roll out an innovative self-flying taxi.
20 years ago, that was impossible. Many reasons can explain these changes but one element has act as a catalyst: The Internet.
The Internet has played a role of enabler in the democratization of new technologies and has allowed knowledge-sharing worldwide. Today, the Internet is more than a tool for knowledge sharing. The words “Digital” and “Big data” would lose their meanings without internet. No industry is spared from this “flood of technology”: health, housing, telecoms, environment, transport…
In the light of the above, 2 questions raised in my mind:
- What are the technological trends that interfere gradually in our daily life and will define our future?
- What strategies are firms adopting in order to keep their position and remain relevant in this volatile environment (where the next Uber could emerge more quickly than we imagine)?
This monthly column aims at trying to give answers to these 2 issues. This is your space and we will collaborate together. Your comments are welcome.
Before ending, this is a quick overview of the “TechTrends” we will talk about each month:
- Everything is connected (Internet Of Things): We all know famous smart watches ( Samsung Gear, Apple Watch, …) that we use in our fitness moments or to listen to the music. Here and together, we will go much further with innovations in shopping, housing (Smart home, Smart city), environment, …
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Surely, you have already played the SONY football game on the Play Station. It is a typical example of AI, where creators have learned to the machine how to mimic precisely different real life football game. AI is not only that. Will AI replace the doctor in medical diagnosis? Or the lawyer at court? I will be delighted to discuss about that.
- Virtual Reality (VR): To be on the comfort of your canapé and be able to follow in live a Real Madrid football match! This is VR. What would be the implications in terms of ticket sales if this technology became a reality?
- Fintech: In just a few clicks, we are now able to purchase insurance, make an insurance claim, without setting a meeting with your insurance provider. Fintech is the exact kind of disruption happening in financial services.
- Emerging OTT apps: Let whichever person that has never used WhatsApp or Facebook to make a call raise his/her hand! Here, I will share some reflections on the challenges faced by mobile operators as a result of market- dominating OTT communication apps.
- Digital marketing: This expression is viral right now and is about using digital technologies and the Internet for marketing activities.
- Big data and data confidentiality: Big Data is essential to all the things I have mentioned above. Its enables building this all architecture. Who is the owner of this Big Data? Us? The firms that collect this information?
Certainly my list is not complete. If you have a “TechTrend” you want we discuss about, please add a comment below about it.
I welcome you on this new journey and see you very soon. We will talk about our first “TechTrend”
*TechTrends = Technology Trends